Muslim dating   FREE Sign up   Sign in   Search   Blog / Forum   Help / Faq  

Home > Muslim Forums > Friendship > Music: halal or haram? Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
Music: halal or haram?
Author
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Mar 13, 2005 12:10

There is always a debate as to whether we as Muslims should avoid music or not. Is it lawful or unlawful? I personally think that it's halal. But what is your opinion?

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Sep 27, 2005 09:43

i personally do not think that music is bad it is one thing that i can not live without it makes up who i am so i do think it is halal

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Sep 04, 2005 17:02

MUSIC IS HARAAAM. You get moltan tar poured into your ears

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Aug 09, 2005 18:17

Religion is NOT about your intention!!! religion is about seeing what the Shri'iah says, what the Sunnah said and follow it. Music is certainly HARAM in islam EXCEPT Islamic songs and national songs (songs about a country such as the national anthem)

?In my ummah there will be people who allow fornication/zina, silk, wine and musical instruments??..? (reported by Saheh Al-Bukhari No. 7494b)

If they were halal, he would not have condemned those who permitted them, or compared permitting them to permitting wine and zina.

?And there are among men those who purchase Idle Talk in order to mislead others from Allah?s path without knowledge, and who throw ridicule upon it.? (

The Sahaba Ibn Masood was questioned about the mening of the term ?Idle Talk? and he answered: I swear by Him besides whom there is no other God, that it refers to singing.

The Sahaba Ibn Abbas said also that it refered to: Singing and the like. (also see the tafseer by ibn Kathis and AlQurtubi and At-tabrani)

And there are many more ayahs such as:

Surah Bani Israeel ayah 64, (see tafseer Ibn Katheer vol. 3, page 50 AND Igathatul Haffan vol. 1, page 255)

Surah Al Qamar 59 ayah 60, (see tafseer Ibn Katheer vol. 4, page 260)

Surah Al Furqaan ayah 72, (see Ahkaamul Quran: vol. 3, page 347 AND Mualim ut Tanzeel vol. 4 page 251)

Available only
to logged in members

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Aug 09, 2005 11:45

Howard_P write:
There is always a debate as to whether we as Muslims should avoid music or not. Is it lawful or unlawful? I personally think that it's halal. But what is your opinion?

I think everything that makes you in TRANCE what has not to do with Allah it's a HARAM...Maybe I am wrong ...
May Allah show me the way of TRUTH... Ameen

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Jul 30, 2005 14:58

Asalamoalaikum Dear bro n sis!!!
It is quite a huge debate tht wether musik is allowed or prohibited but as do i know we should avoid anything tht might b suspisious.And islam is a religion tht doent speak abt theories it always speaks abt facts.So at the time of the prophet pbuh no such thing was done and after his time meaning in the Khaalafat of the sahaabah.the only thing allowed was tambourtine and it is recorded in many authentic ahahadith. and i have never listened to a song tht after listening to it i feel closer to Allah(swt).It intoxicates and engages a person's mind and take him/her away from the path of Allah and his rememberaence .
May ALLAH forgives me if i have said any thing wrong.
God bless all of us

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Jul 15, 2005 14:52

i think that music is halal even if i dont like it. because even mohammad use to listen to it. and music also invlolve the words of allah. and words of allah are always halal in everything.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, May 16, 2005 05:16

salam i think that s musik as first step no problem specially for new muslim that is tne opinion of ibne hazem famous sholarly.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, May 11, 2005 22:25

Assalama alaikum all.

Hey Irish Girl and Howard P.. I'm your neighbor as well. Grew up in Columbia (one of the first families out there) and now reside off of rt 270 near Brother Howard P!Keep it on the beltway!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, May 11, 2005 02:17

Muslims should know if listening to a certain kind of music actually takes them away from thinking about Allah(SWT) or not.

Its always good to control your desires and emotions with regards to music and other things. If you want to listen to music because you have a certain desire to, then question yourself first... you will know in your heart if you are giving in to your desires and being weak or if you are in control... If you can't tell that something is taking you away from thinking about Allah(SWT) then its best that you don't listen to music untill you are certain you have control over such desires.

Otherwise you will be a muppet of the one who has made the music... your mind will flow and go from one state to another... you become an easy target for that trouble maker, satan.

Be certain you have control.

Anyway even excess of a good thing is bad for your soul... so don't over do listening to music.

Your mind has a way of making pattens out of abstract things in order to understand them... music stimulates such mechanisms and your imagination can wonder in various directions.

Just remember if you are thinking about good things, then its alright and insh'Allah will not harm your soul... but its not easy to have self realisation whilst listening to some music, thats why its important to have control.

Also when you are more closer to Allah(SWT), when you submit to Allah(SWT) whilst having that control, in my experience the music sounds better even when there is no music ;-).

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Apr 21, 2005 21:24

Hey, ottoman. How do you like the site? It's nice, isn't it?

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Apr 19, 2005 12:06

hey hovard,?m ottoman.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Mar 28, 2005 13:31

Yup. I've been here in this area for nearly a decade. And I don't need to tell you that there are a lot of Muslims out here. The Ummah is definitely growing. It seems that the enemies of Islam in all their efforts have only made Islam stronger. This is mainly because they put Islam at the center of so many discussions which made people want to learn more about it. If u or anyone else want 2 chat sometime about anything related to Islam, I have an email account at hotmail. My address is easy 2 obtain. Let me know if u have trouble obtaining it.

Anyway, I think when it comes to music we are speaking about a very broad issue. Music is a song that is sung with or without instruments. Music is a drum beat. Music is an orchestra or the sound of a tambourine or the recitation of an ayat from the Quran or the sound of the trumpet which will signify the beginning a day that will be joyous to believers and distressful to non-believers, The Day of Judgement.

Music is many things which is why it has many different effects on people. We certainly can't say that all music is halal. And we also can't say that all music is haram. But we can say without a doubt that certain music is halal. And we can say without a doubt that certain music is haram, such as a song that praises Satan. And we don't say that it's haram simply because it's a song or because of the types of instruments that are used. We say that it's haram because Allah tells us not to worship anyone or anything but him. And we should only say something is haram if Allah says it's haram. So the point is not to say that something is or isn't haram unless Allah says it is such. As Adam pointed out, music is simply a tool. And how it is used determines whether it is halal or haram.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Mar 25, 2005 22:50

Yeah. I agree. It's the message that matters. We certainly can't say something is haram if it offends people, because what offends one person may not offend someone else. And I wouldn't say music is haram even if it has no positive message, as long as it doesn't have a negative message. An instrumental would be a good example of this. It has neither a positive nor a negative message. But it can enhance a positive message when combined with vocals.

I think the reason it's such a sticky debate is because as Muslims we often feel the need to put things into categories of either halal or haram. But the Quran warns us against this:

"But say not for any false thing that your tongues may put forth, "This is lawful, and this is forbidden," so as to ascribe false things to Allah. For those who ascribe false things to Allah will never prosper." - An-Nahl(16:116)

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Mar 25, 2005 11:10

As Salaam Aleikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Dear and beloved bothers and sisters

It is recorded in

Al-Tirmidhi Hadith 3654 Narrated by Abu Umamah

The Prophet (saws) said, "Allah has sent me as a mercy to the universe and as a guidance to the universe, and my Lord, Who is Great and Glorious, has commanded me to annihilate stringed instruments, wind instruments, idols, crosses and pre-Islamic customs. My Lord, Who is Great and Glorious has sworn, 'By My might, none of My servants will drink a mouthful of wine without My giving him a similar amount of pus to drink, but he will not abandon it through fear of Me without My giving him drink from the holy tanks.'"

There is absolutely no doubt that most types of musics, especially those that involve string or wind musical instruments, the ?impure? music which facilitate ?shirk?, ?faheshaa? and indecency, and the contemporary music which is so rampant in movies, television, radios, etc. today are definitely forbidden by the Messenger of Allah (saws).

But if one takes music to mean the melodious sound of the Muazzin while calling to prayer, or the beautiful sound or chant of the ?Qari? when he recites the Holy Quran, or the tunes of chorus sung by the mujahideen, etc.; these are not only permitted, these are considered virtues and a means of getting a huge reward from Allah Subhanah.

If one writes poetry in the Praise of Allah and sings it in a melodious voice, there is absolutely no harm. Even if one writes poetry of love and sings them to his wife, and there is no indecency in the wordings, there is no harm. Even singing and the playing of the ?daff? (a tambourine or circular drum type instrument played by the hand) at special occasions like marriage, etc. was allowed by the Messenger of Allah (saws) in Islam.

Al-Tirmidhi Hadith 3154 Narrated by Aisha

I had a girl of the Ansar whom I gave in marriage, and Allah's Messenger (saws) said, "Why do you...

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Mar 24, 2005 20:58

This is a pretty sticky debate. A lot of Muslims feel that any music with any sort of negative things in it is haram. I guess it depends on what you are listening to. Some music can definitely be spiitual poison. I listen to a lot of Mos Def and Talib Kweli, and if you've ever heard any of their music, you know that it contains cursing and some graphic stories. However, their overall messages are uplifting and have purpose. So I think you just have to know how to pick what nourishes your soul. That, I think, is halal.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Mar 14, 2005 21:16

Well said.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Mar 14, 2005 07:49

If yr intention for using Music is Halal then it is Halal if yr intention is Haram then it is so. Music is a tool and can be used for good and bad like wealth. music can chage the heart like love can when used wisely. Islam is based on intention and wisdom must be used in diferent circumstances like the Holy PBUH used to do.