Muslim dating   FREE Sign up   Sign in   Search   Blog / Forum   Help / Faq  

Home > Muslim Forums > Muslim's Awareness about Islam "PHLAH Vs DUA' > WHY ARE MUSLIMS DIVIDED INTO SECTS Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
WHY ARE MUSLIMS DIVIDED INTO SECTS
Author
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Sep 22, 2005 03:26

WHY ARE MUSLIMS DIVIDED INTO SECTS / DIFFERENT SCHOOLS OF THOUGHT?

why are we not united?

It is a fact that we are divided amongst themselves. it is upseting that such divisions are not endorsed by Islam at all. Islam believes in fostering unity amongst its followers.

In qur'aan ch 3:103 it says,"And hold fast,All together, by the rope,Which Allah (stretches out for you),and be not divided among yourselves;"

The Glorious Qur?an is the rope of Allah which all Muslims should hold fast together. There is double emphasis in this verse. Besides saying ?hold fast all together? it also says, ?be not divided?.

In qur'aan ch 4:59

"Obey Allah, and obey the Messenger"

All the Muslim should follow the Qur?an and sunnah and we should not be divided among themselves.

It is Prohibited to make sects and divisions in Islam

In qur'aan ch 6:159

"As for those who divide,Their religion and break up into sects, thou hast No part in them in the least:Their affair is with Allah:He will in the end Tell them the truth Of all that they did."

In this verse Allah (swt) says that one should disassociate oneself from those who divide their religion and break it up into sects.

But when one asks a Muslim, "who are you?", the common answer is either ?I am a Sunni, or ?I am a Shia?. Some call themselves Hanafi, or Shafi or Maliki or Humbali even salfi. Some say ?I am a xxx, while some others say ?I am a xyz?.

Our Prophet was a Muslim

"Who was our beloved prophet (pbuh)? Was he a Hanafi or a Shafi, or a Humbali or a Maliki?" No! He was a Muslim, like all the other prophets and messengers of Allah before him.

In qur'aan ch3: 52 ' Jesus (pbuh) was a Muslim'.

In qur'aan 3 : 67, Ibrahim (pbuh) was not a Jew or a Christian but was a Muslim.

Qur?an tells us to call ourselves Muslim

If anyone asks you the question who are you,you should say

"I am a MUSLIM, not a Hanafi or a Shafi".

In qur'aan ch41: 33

"Who is better in speech Than one who calls (men)To Allah, works righteousness, And says, ?I am of those Who bow in Islam Muslim)?? "

The Qur?an says "Say I am of those who bow in Islam". In other

words, say, "I am a Muslim".

The Prophet (pbuh) dictated letters to non-Muslim kings and rulers

inviting them to accept Islam. In these letters he mentioned the

verse of the Qur?an from Surah Ali Imran

ch 3: 64:

"Bear witness That we (at least) Are Muslims

(bowing To Allah?s Will)."

Respect all the Great Scholars of Islam

We must respect all the great scholars of Islam, including the four Imaams, Imam Abu Hanifa, Imam Shafi, Imam Humbal and Imam Malik (may Allah be pleased with them all). They were great scholars and may Allah reward them for their research and hardwork. One can have no objection if someone agrees with the views and research of Imam Abu Hanifa or Imam Shafi, etc. But when posed a question, ?who are you??, the reply should only be ?I am a Muslim?.

Some may argue by quoting the hadith of our beloved Prophet from Sunan Abu Dawood Hadith No. 4579. In this hadith the prophet (pbuh) is reported to have said, "My community will be split up into seventy-three sects."

This hadith reports that the prophet predicted the emergence of seventy-three sects. He did not say that Muslims should be active in dividing themselves into sects. The Glorious Qur?an commands us not to create sects. Those who follow the teachings of the Qur?an and Sahih Hadith, and do not create sects are the people who are on the true path.

According to Tirmidhi Hadith No. 171, the prophet (pbuh) is reported to have said, "My Ummah will be fragmented into seventy-three sects, and all of them will be in Hell fire except one sect." The companions asked Allah?s messenger which group that would be. Where upon he replied, "It is the one to which I and my companions belong."

The Qur?an mentions in several verses, "Obey Allah and obey His Messenger". A true Muslim should only follow the Glorious Qur?an and the sunah. He can agree with the views of any scholar as long as they conform to the teachings of the Qur?an and sunna that means the example of the prophet(pbuh). If such views go against the Word of Allah, or the Sunnah of His Prophet, then they carry no weight, regardless of how learned the scholar might be.

If only all Muslims read the Qur?an with understanding and sunnah, Inshallah most of these differences would be solved and we could be one united Muslim Ummah

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Jan 18, 2006 03:02

Selamu alaikum

Bismilahi Rrahmani Rrahim

Dear brothers and sister that there will be sect that is certain as the Prophet salaAllahu alejhi ue selam has informed us for that.

But who is the one that will be in Jennah?

The Prophet (alejhi selam) has informed us for that as well.
In the same hadith where our Prophet alejhi selam has mentioned that his Ummah would be devided in 73 sects he has also informed us which group will be saved from Hell fire. Here is the Hadith.
"The tribes of Israel broke up into seventy-two sects. My ummah shall break up into seventy-three sects. All of them will be in the Fire except for one: [That group] which follows what I and my Companions are following." (at-Tirmidhi)

So the one that follows that Islam that Prophet alejhi selam and his companions were practicing.
Why did the Prophet alejhi selam said "[That group] which follows what I and my Companions are following."? Why he did't just say "..the one I belong"?

That is because his companions lived in his age they were with him during the time the Quran was being revealed to him and they understood the true and real Islam.

Allah was pleased withe the Sahabas, as the following verse suggests:

"And the first to embrace Islam of the Muhaajirun and the Ansaar and also those who followed them exactly (in faith)! Allaah is well-pleased with them as they are well-pleased with Him. He has prepared for them Gardens under which rivers flow (Paradise) to dwell therein forever. That is the supreme success". (at-Tawbah, 100)

While Nabij alejhi selam said about his companions:

"The best people are my generation, then the people who come after them, then the people who come after them" (al-Bukhaari, and Muslim).

So to conclude we have to try hard to follow the Islam the way the selefu Salih (our just predecessors Sahabas, Tabiin, Tabi-Tabiin) understood and practiced it.

May Allah Almighty make us of this saved group! Amin!

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Jan 07, 2006 17:24

As salamu aliakum Bro's & Sis's I agree with Gremlin. Or Nabi PBUH was not Garanteed unity amongst his followers. He prayed to Allah for 3 things 1. that his followers would not starve to death due to hunger 2. would not be annialated in battle 3.would not fight amongst themselves. Allah swt granted two, the third? May Allah give us guidence because, we fight amongst our selves.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Jan 04, 2006 22:30

Christians are divided into 72 sects, if you think that is bad muslims are divided into 73, only one sect will enter jannah...I hope and pray that we will all be of that sect...ameen

Available only
to logged in members

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Dec 19, 2005 22:47

Humans got many characters which are bad and good ones. We don't need to unite the muslims into one section of group. They have their own belief and trustworthy of knowledges which you don't understand. The best to do is show some respect to anyone belief and yourself to do the righteous deeds according to the QURAN and SUNNAH in the most of the times and others can follow and learn your way as good examples than rather you comments others.
In Islam, the best to unite is with ALLAH and focus HIM most of your life times and He certainly provide better living in this world and hereafter.
Holy-Rasullah Muhammad bin Abdullah is the best good examples whom you can learn with by understanding the history and His sunnah.

Available only
to logged in members

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Dec 11, 2005 06:04

As-salaamu alaikum
For some time I have also thought upon this question, especially living here in the Newark, East Orange area of New Jersey where I see far to often the division between masjid's and hear both my brother's and sister's talking negative against this masjid and that the Prophet (PBUH) told us that just as the Christian's and Jews are divided so would we be and that on the day of judgment only the true one would be first, no one knows who is that true one so we each should strive hard to be on the correct Sunnah of our Prophet (PBUH) and let our petty differences go for only Allah know who is right and who is wrong and only man can ruin that which Allah (SWT) has made perfect.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Thu, Nov 24, 2005 09:01

Salams,

Muslims are divided as Islam is the Deen that belongs to Allah while muslims are the people who practise it, either choosing right guidance or misusing it.

Allah did not guarantee the Prophet the unity of His ummah after him.

Even in the time of the Prophet the hippocites who pretended to be muslims tried to cause disunity and destroy Islam.... i.e.... that it is the human being that does/tries to disunite the muslim and not the Deen itself if followed correctly.

hope this helps.

wasalam