Home > Muslim Forums > Religion > Sunni vs. Shia' Previous topic Next topic
Jump to:
Sunni vs. Shia'
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Mar 27, 2005 14:06

Salaamun alaikum brothers and sisters in Al-Islam,

I found another verse in Al-Quran pertaining to sects:
?The religion you preach is one religion and I am your Lord, so observe Me. But the people divided themselves into sects, each happy with what they have. Thus, leave them in their blunder for a while.

How much more clear can Allah be regarding sects???

We cannot accept anything other than Allah's Word Al-Quran as the source of religious guidance and the only Hadith is that which is present in Al-Quran alone:

"The GOD has revealed herein the best Hadith; a book that is consistent, and points out both ways. The skins of those who reverence their Lord cringe therefrom, then their skins and their hearts soften up for The GOD's message. Such is The GOD's guidance; He bestows it upon whoever wills. As for those sent astray by The GOD, nothing can guide them."(39:23)
Such are the Signs of God, which We rehearse to thee in Truth; then in what HADEETH will they believe after God and His Signs? (Quran 45.6)

In accordance to 6:114, 69:43-47 and many other clear cut ayat, prophet Muhammad himself commanded his people not to write his own hadith, this is documented in Muslim and other books:
"Do not write down anything of me except the Quran. Whoever writes other than that should delete it"

Omar Bin Al-Khatab is recorded as saying: 'I wanted to write the traditions (Sun'an), and I remembered a people who were before you, they wrote other books to follow and abandoned the book of GOD. And I will never, I swear, replace GOD's book with anything' (Reported by Jami' Al-Bayan 1/67)

Reply / add comments      Quote      Report abuse   Bookmark and Share
Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Mar 25, 2005 19:42

Salaamun alaikum brothers and sisters in Al-Islam,

According to Allah the only Deen is Al-Islam. There are NO SECTS whatsoever in Al-Islam. The ONLY authentic source of guidance from Allah is Al-Quran and nowhere in Al-Quran it mentions anything about "SUNNI" or "SHIA" "sects" of Islam. It actually issues a severe warning to those people who divide themselves into various sects. Have you, as a Muslim, wondered why there are so many sects in Islam ? Does Allah recognise these sects 'as a mercy' (which is commonly claimed) ?

Quran says :
"As for those who divide their religion and break up into sects, thou hast no part in them in the least: their affair is with God: He will in the end tell them the truth of all that they did." (Quran 6/159)

Human beings have a history and a tendency to reject, fight, and corrupt any message sent to them:

"We have permitted the enemies of every prophet-human and alien devils- to inspire in each other fancy words, in order to deceive. Had your Lord willed, they would not have done it. You shall disregard them and their fabrications." (Quran 6:112)

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Mar 25, 2005 19:41

Most of them follow nothing but conjecture: truly conjecture can be of no avail against truth. Verily Allah is well aware of all that they do. (10:36)

If we cannot find it clearly written in the Quran, then GOD never said it!.

The messenger said, "My Lord, my people have deserted this Quran." (Quran 25:30)

In the Quran God commands all believers to follow the Quran Alone, this command is found in numerous verses, the following are examples:

"You ALONE we worship, you ALONE we seek" (Quran 1:5)

"...If any do fail to judge by what Allah(God) has sent down (i.e the Koran), they are unbelievers (Kaafiroon)." (Koran 5:45).

"...If any do fail to judge by that which Allah has sent down, they are tyrants (dhilamoon)." (Koran 5:45)

"...If any do fail to judge by that which Allah has sent down, such are evil-livers (fasikoon)." (Koran 5:47)

"These are God's revelations that We recite to you truthfully. In which Hadith other than God and His revelations do they believe?" 45:6

"Shall I seek other than God as a source of law, when He has revealed to you this book fully detailed?"6:114

To make the issue undisputable, God has told us in the Quran that the only Sunna is the Sunna of God. No where in the Quran is there any mention of the Sunna of Muhammad!!!!

"You will find that the Sunna of Allah is the only Sunna" (33:62....35:43.....48:23)

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Mar 25, 2005 19:40

God asserts to all believers that prophet Muhammad was commanded not to teach any other teachings, otherwise he would incur severe punishment from God:

"It (the Quran) is a revelation from the Lord of the universe. Had he (Muhammad) uttered any other teachings, We would have grabbed him by the right, and We would have severed his Wateen (Major artery of the heart), none of you could have helped him."69:43-47

"Then we revealed to you this scripture, truthfully, confirming previous scriptures, and superseding them. You shall rule among them in accordance with God's revelations, and do not follow their wishes if they differ from the truth that came to you" 5:48

"When our verses are recited for them, those who do not expect to meet us would say, 'Bring a Quran other than this, or change it.' Say (O Muhammad), 'I cannot change it on my own initiative. I simply follow what is revealed to me. I fear, if I disobey my Lord, the retribution of a terrible day.' ...Who is more wicked than one who invents lies about God, or rejects His revelations? The guilty never succeed. Yet, they idolize beside God those who possess no power to harm them or benefit them, and say, 'These are our intercessors with God.' ...such is idol-worship." (Quran, 10:15-18)

"Shall I seek OTHER THAN THE GOD as a source of law, when He has revealed THIS BOOK FULLY DETAILED? ....The word of your Lord is COMPLETE, in truth and justice. Nothing shall abrogate His words; He is the hearer, the omniscient. Yet, if you obey the majority of people, they will take you away from the path of The God. That is because they follow CONJECTURE, and they fail to think." (Quran, 6:114-116)

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Mar 16, 2005 04:34

Assalamualaikum,

You are mistaken.

There are many references in Quran about followin the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammed (Peace be upon Him) and also in the Hadith.

The who follow the Sunnah are called Sunni

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Mar 15, 2005 12:32

salam anything that muhammad did not show the muslim is not of allah this is anding to the religion of allah which we are not allowed to change one single letter thats why it is importance to maintain quran in bothenglish and arabic side by side to check what allah has said i dont believe allah said to jump on anything i could be mistaking correct me if im wrong inshaa allah your brother in islam sidiq

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Mar 15, 2005 12:23

salam allah only spoke of muhammad{pbuh}in quran the people followed muhammad{pbuh}this is what states that sunnah is of allah this states that allah choose that one sect to be{sunni}alhamduallah your brother in faith sidiq..

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Mar 15, 2005 12:07

brother you are so right in your believes just to let you know allah is the see-r the hearer the allknower this is to be true have peace in your heart brother surah 2:190 he is the last messenger and slave servant of allah all others are wisemen and caliphs salamualiekum

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Mar 15, 2005 12:01

salam, allah sent muhammad as his last slave servant and messenger he was the only one who entered the seven heavens and brought forth to us how god wanted us to pray first the people thought that this was to many times to pray then allah gave his blessings to reduce this to 5 times a day this is the blessing from allah anything that opposes the sunnah of allah prostration to allah and his will is not of islam one sect and one sect only has the approval of allow you choose peace...sidiq

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Mar 15, 2005 11:52

salam akili i loved the staement you made about quran and the division between the brothers sunni/shia allah will condemn those to the hellfire for adding to the religion he has choosen for mankind{islam}quran states only one sect will enter his presence the others will enter into the hellfire insha allah the brothers will interpret the quran as scholars and unite before shaytan destroys us as he has willed lets not become as the christians non believers worship allah and allah only not a sect meant to divide the religion of allah.asalaamu aliekum..

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Mar 13, 2005 03:50

As Salaam Aleikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh
Dear and beloved sister princess sobiya

To my point of view that Shia-ism was basically following the History of Muslims, rather than the guidance of the Quran and Sunnah of the Messenger (saws).The literal meaning of the term ?shia? means ?a group? or ?followers of?. This term has been used several times by Allah Subhanah in the Glorious Quran in a similar context

Allah Says in the Holy Quran Chapter 6 Surah Anaam verse 159: As for those who divide their religion and break up into ?shias? (sects or groups) thou hast no part in them in the least: their affair is with Allah: He will in the end tell them the truth of all that they did.

Allah Says in the Holy Quran Chapter 6 Surah Anaam verse 65: Say: "He hath power to send calamities on you from above and below or to cover you with confusion in ?shia? (groups), giving you a taste of mutual vengeance each from the other." See how We explain the Signs by various (symbols) that they may understand.
Indeed The Quran was not revealed for the Shias, and nor was it revealed for the Sunnis! It was revealed as a Book of Guidance for all mankind. During the time of the Messenger of Allah (saws), there was no such thing as a Shia or a Sunni? everyone who believed was a ?muslim?, and that is what we intend to be.

Hope you understand

Take care

Your brother in islam

Adham

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Fri, Mar 11, 2005 14:55

As salaam alaykum,
Hope all are in good health and imaan InshaAllah...
The word sunni... comes from sunnah, so sunnis are people that are meant to be following the sunnah of the Prophet (pbuh). Sh'ites (pro. shee'ah) are following what? Not the sunnah? Please could anybody clarify this for me this for me.. Barak Allahu Feek

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Mar 07, 2005 23:30

Assalamualaikum,

He who obeys the Messenger, has indeed obeyed Allah, but he who turns away, then We have not sent you as a watcher over them. (Surah An-Nisa Ayat # 79-80)

There are many types of Shias. sOme of them give equality in terms of status in Islam to Hazrath Ali and
Prophet Muhammed (peace be upon Him)- i witnessed myself.

The Prophet has a higher claim on the believers than [they have on] their own selves." (Surah Al-Ahzaab33 ayah # 6)

The above verse again illustrates the superiority of Prophet Muhammed (peace be upon Him) and this right hasn't been given to any other man.

Equating others to this status is not Islamic

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Mar 07, 2005 13:07

As Salaam Aleikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Dear and beloved sister in islam

Allah says in the Holy Quran Chapter 22 Surah Hajj verse 77-78: O you who have believed, do ?rukooh? (bow down) and do ?sajdah? (prostration), and worship your Lord Allah Alone, and do righteous deeds: it may be that you attain true success! Exert your utmost for the cause of Allah, as one should. He has chosen you for His service, and has not laid on you any hardship in your religion. Therefore, be steadfast in the religion of your father Abraham. Allah had named you ?muslims? before this, and has named you (muslims) in this Quran also, so that the Messenger may be a witness in regard to you, and you may be witnesses in regard to the rest of mankind.

Whoever declares the ?shahaadah? or testification of faith will be considered a ?muslim? in the sight of Shariah, regardless of whether one wishes to call himself a Shia or a Sunni, as these man-made sect names have absolutely no basis or authority in Islam.

In my humble opinion the major difference between these two groups originate in what transpired in the History of the Muslims after the death of the Messenger of Allah (saws). The people who claim to be Sunnis accept the historical fact that Hadrat Abu Bakr (r.a.) was the chosen Khalifah of the believers; and the Shias disagree with this appointment and claim that Prophet Mohamed (saws) chose and appointed Hadrat Ali ibn Abi Taalib (r.a.) as his vicegerent and successor. The people who call themselves Sunnis claim that the leadership of the believers was to be chosen by consensus. This is, so to speak, the first bone of contentions between the two sects. The people who call themselves Shias believe that the leadership of the believers is by Divine Decree conferred on the Imams, who are considered sinless and present in every generation.

The truth of the matter is that regardless of whoever is the leader of the believers, whether chosen by th...

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sat, Mar 05, 2005 15:35

salam brothers
i read messages about sunni and shia let me remind u our prophet was only muslim and other prophet were muslim only. they were not shia or sunny and wahaby or other but only muslim. my advise u just follow koran and sunnah do not criticise each other

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Wed, Mar 02, 2005 13:34

i think there r many things in shias which r unnaturl and not according t islamic shrea,i watched these during muharram,not wanting to explain.
some shias are also against these.
it mean there is also sects(faiths)insheas

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Tue, Mar 01, 2005 22:24

So you mean to say what the shias doon Ashoura is Islamic huh.

And what about Mut'a which is totally Haraam.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Mon, Feb 28, 2005 01:22

But that doesn't mean that Jumping on fire and hot cinders on 10 nights of Ashoura as done by Shias is Islamic.

It is a paganic deed and heritage of Shias which rthey have carried from Iran.

And then there are many more deviations

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Feb 27, 2005 03:16

My bro! there are many references about Sunnah and Syi'ah.THisis one of many references that I ever heard and read.(Al- muraja'at,dialog between asy-Syaikh al-Misyri al-Maliki Rektor al-Azhar from Kairo Mesir dan as-Sayyid Syarafuddin al Musawi al Amili , a syi'i scholar. U all can see that they two have positive thinkin about their mazhab(sect) and have a fresh dialog.

Available only
to logged in members
Posted on Sun, Feb 27, 2005 02:34

and mr. Filadian

Please remember that Aamaal or deeds are based upon Aqeedah or faith.

If I lie or not is between me and ALLAH. But if some thing is disallowed in Islam it stands disallowed.

How much ever you rave and rant abt Shiasm , it is taken as a perversion by the majority of Muslims and the Scholars and the Salf As Saliheen of Islam.

And by the way , were not Imam Muslim bin Aqeel and Imam Hussain RIdhwanullhi Taa'la Alaihim Ajmeaeen martyred by people of Karbala (i.e. Najaf and Kufa and surrounding areas) who latrer became Shias--- so who is the liar.

And by the way let me inform you - Taqqiyyah or a form of hypocrisy is allowed in Shias who advocate it to explain the proof of silence of Imam ALI KarramallahuWajhau during the caliphate of the first there rightly guided Caliphs.

Hence you lose.

And any way dont dance on fire next Ashoura at least.
It is a tradition of pagans and fireworshippers